Mr. Rinzing Lama
BA(TTM), MATM, PhD (pursuing)
Background and Experience
Having more than 3 years Teaching and Research experience with Indian Institute of Tourism and Travel Management, New Delhi and more than 2 years tourism industry experience. First UGC, NET/JRF holder in Tourism from Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh.
Areas of Interest and Teaching
Sustainable Tourism, Community Based Tourism and Adventure Tourism.
International Tourism Geography, Tourism Products, Sports Tourism, Adventure Tourism, Rural Tourism, Contemporary Issues in Tourism, Community Based Tourism and Climate Change.
- Submitted paper entitled "Prologue and Expansion of Buddhism in Sikkim” in (Purvottar Mahotsava) workshop entitled “Living Buddhism in North – East India” held on 19th January – 20th January 2011 at Nava Nalanda Mahavihara, Nalanda, Bihar.
- Submitted joint paper entitled “Prospects and Challenges of Homestay – A Case Study of Kewzing, Sikkim” in the International Conference on “Challenges and Strategic Intervention for Tourism in India” held on 4th and 5th December 2010, organized by Indian Tourism Congress at Institute of Tourism Studies, University of Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh.
- Submitted joint paper entitled “Pattern of Tourism Development in Wayanad with reference to Responsible Ecotourism” in World Ecotourism Conference 2010 “Urban Ecotourism and Biodiversity Hotspots in Developing countries: - Shifting Paradigms and Strategic Adaptations” organised by Discovery Mice, Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (8th July – 11th July 2010).
- Submitted joint paper and presented paper entitled “Tourism Sustainablity through Community Empowerment and Resource Management – A Case Study of Sikkim” in International Conference on Sustainable Tourism Management with the theme “Management of Sustainable Tourism in the Next Decade: Prospects and challenges organised by School of Tourism Development, Maejo University, Chaing Mai, Thailand (27th – 29th March 2009).
- Submitted joint paper entitled EPI – Model: A New Approach to Tourist Satisfaction Measurement in National Seminar on “Changing Paradigms in Indian Tourism and Hospitality: Implication for Growth and Sustainability” organised by Department of Tourism and Hotel Management, Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra, Haryana (16th – 17th March 2009).
- Submitted and presented paper entitled Tourism helping Indo-Nepal Relationship in International Seminar on “Development and Devolution in Nepal” organised by Centre for the Study of Nepal, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh (27th – 28th January 2009).
- Submitted write up on “Earn While You Learn – Sensitizing the Youth to Tourism” in A News Letter of Asia Pacific Education and Training Institute in Tourism, Vol. 6/2 November 2008.
- Submitted paper entitled “Innovation, The key to success (A study on Emerging Trends in Travel Business)” in the 5th Indian Tourism Congress on “Creating Customer Value- Through Innovation in Tourism Industry” hosted by Centre for Hospitality and Tourism Management (CHTM), University of Jammu, Jammu (14th -15th December 2007).
Professional Training and Orientation
- Successfully completed Management Development Programme for The Principals/Faculty of IHMs/FCIs/IITTM and the officers of ITDC sponsored by Ministry of Tourism, Government of India at Administrative Staff College of India, Bella Vista, Raj Bhavan Road, Khairatabad, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh – 500082 (14th February - 18th February 2011) also includes Study visit to Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore (19th February – 2nd March 2011).
- Successfully completed four weeks online training course (Online Educator Course) organized by The American Hospitality Academy (1st July - 30th July 2010).
- Successfully completed Research Methodology Workshop in Tourism (Level – I) organised by Indian Institute of Tourism and Travel Management, Govindpuri, Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh (12th July – 16th July 2010).
- Successfully completed eight days Special Skiing Course organised by Atal Bihari Vajpayee Institute of Mountaineering and Allied Sports, Manali, Himachal Pradesh from 15th March - 22nd March 2010.
- Successfully completed eight days Elementary Skiing Course organised by Atal Bihari Vajpayee Institute of Mountaineering and Allied Sports, Manali, Himachal Pradesh from 15th March - 22nd March 2009.
- Successfully completed the Faculty Development Programme organized by Indian Institute of Tourism and Travel Management, and sponsored by All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) from 20th June – 29th June 2008 at Indian Institute of Tourism and Travel Management, Govindpuri, Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh.
- Successfully completed ten days Adventure Camp and acquired proficiency in elementary skills required for Rock Climbing, Rappelling, River Crossing, White Water Rafting, Trekking, Jungle Craft, Survival and Leadership organized by Directorate of Mountaineering and Allied Sports (DMAS), Manali, Himachal Pradesh from 26th March - 4th April 2008.
- Undergone seventy six days Summer Training in Inbound Operation from Time Sas Group India Pvt. Ltd., C5/48, East of Kailash, New Delhi (2005).
- Undergone two weeks Summer Training in Domestic Airlines from Silk Route Tours and Travel, M.G. Marg, Gangtok, Sikkim (2003).
- Attended three days Intermediate Tourism Training and Workshop for Guides and Tour Operators held from 25th January - 30th January 2003 organized by Travel Agents’ Association of Sikkim with Sikkim Tourism, Government of Sikkim.
- Practical Tourism and Industrial Exposure Training (2003) organized by Travel Agents’ Association of Sikkim with Sikkim Tourism, Government of Sikkim.
- Completed six Weeks Technology based Entrepreneurship Development Programme on Eco- Tourism Management organized by Sikkim Consultancy centre, Gangtok; in collaboration with Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition and Tourism Department. Government of Sikkim (2003).
- Field Orientation Course on Tourism Management organized by Travel Agents’ Association of Sikkim from 8th December to 10th December 2000.
Extra Curricular Activities
- Acted as a Tour Leader of MBA (TL) students in Study Tour to Manali, Himachal Pradesh (2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011).
- Supervised students and guides in various Research projects and Dissertations (2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011).
- Participated in (Purvottara Mahotsava) workshop entitled “Living Buddhism in North – India” held on 19th January – 20th January 2011 at Nava Nalanda Mahavihara, Nalanda, Bihar.
- Attended Singapore “Hospitality and Tourism Trends” conducted at University of Nevada Las Vegas, Singapore Campus, Singapore (28th February – 1st March 2011).
- Organized Earn While You Learn, Commonwealth Games -2010 training programmes at Indian Institute of Tourism and Travel Management, Pusa, New Delhi (2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010).
- Attended Himalayan Heritage: Valorization n and Preservation, A multi-stakeholder consultative workshop by Pragya from 15th November to 16th November 2010 at India Habitat Centre, New Delhi.
- Taken Pledge for Commitment towards Safe, Honourable Tourism and Sustainable Tourism in the occasion of World Tourism Day organized by Ministry of Tourism, Government of India at Hotel Ashok (27th September 2010).
- Attended the World Ecotourism Conference 2010 (8th July – 11th July 2010) organised by Discovery Mice, Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Handled two training programme “Life Saving Techniques and Powerboat Handling” at (Dec’2009) National Institute of Water Sports (NIWS), Goa.
- Acted as a Tour Leader of MBA (TL) students in Study Tour to Karnataka (Oct’ 2009).
- Organized Earn While You Learn, Commonwealth Games – 2010 orientation programme for faculty (17th – 19th April 2009) at Indian Institute of Tourism and Travel Management, Pusa, New Delhi.
- Participated in the International Conference (27th – 29th March 2009) organized by School of Tourism Development, Maejo University, Chaing Mai, Thailand.
- Participated in the International Seminar (27th – 28th January 2009) organized by Centre for the Study of Nepal, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh.
- Attended the National Level Seminar on Tourism Development, Impacts and Strategies (23rd – 24th Feb’ 2007) organized by Department of Tourism and Hotel Management, Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra, Haryana.
- Participated in Ganga Mahotsav organized by Uttar Pradesh Tourism, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh.
- Worked as volunteer in National Seminar on Prof. V.S.Agarwal, Banaras Hindu Univeirsity, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh.
- Actively participated in various programmes organized by Department of Tourism, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh.
- Actively participated in various programmes organized by Sikkim Government College, Tadong, Gangtok, Sikkim.
- Member for the Development of dynamic web portal for Tour Guides, Ministry of Tourism, Govt. of India.
- Working in a project entitled “Evaluation of the Social Awareness Campaign on the theme Good Behaviour towards Tourists” on various radio FM Channels to sensitise masses and stakeholder, Ministry of Tourism, Govt. of India.